Tuesday, December 18, 2012

SPINE FUSION - more incidental healing

A nurse, somewhere away from the hospital, heard me say something about swollen feet.  She looked me in the eye and said firmly:

     Swollen feet are about the chair, not the shoes. 

Finally someone who gets it!

The supposed solution is to put a cushion on a hard chair (or a painful wheelchair) which makes the seat even higher.  As I mentioned earlier, some nurses or aides didn't know that the foot rests on a wheelchair can be raised to take some pressure off the backs of our thighs.

When I was a decorator, I never found a manufacturer who gave a choice of seat height on a particular chair.  So if the client/wife was much shorter than her husband. . .

Donald A. Norman, in The Design of Everyday Things reminded us that even if we design for over 90 per cent of people, we still  neglect millions if others

After the hospital trip in July, I gave up wearing heels (except for the mid heeled evening slippers hidden in my closet In Case.)  So a church pew is going to be torture.  

Now I do what I have to do.  I put a box "footstool" in front of my posture chair, since my ottoman didn't make the move to TX with me.  I also put a low box in front of the desk chair. 

If you want to share how you change your environment to serve your recovery, please let me know.

Soon:  about the car

No comments: