Wednesday, June 14, 2017

BONES - Care and feeding of


Tomorrow is my oncologist apptmt. (I really like him.)   Prolia is bound to enter the conversation. Two days ago I gave billing office entire Medicare deductible for year for Jan. Prolia inj.

I hate the things I don't know about Prolia.

   I don't know if the people referred to my dentist for ONJ were taking Prolia or the pills
   I don't know if Prolia is even strengthening my bones, since I haven't had another scan
   I don't know if science has learned more about possible effects on the rest of my body
   I don't know if there's more research since the 2012 NCBI article I've saved
   Have enough women been saved from fracture?

  I don't know whether to have the next Prolia injection.  I'm sure Dr. will want me to.  He doesn't want me to fall and break a bone.

Speaking of falls:  Mayo Clinic has put out much info on balance problems. They focus a lot on inner ear problems, and their balance team.  Physical therapy has done me much good without a team.
Balance problems can make me fall, and Prolia may/may not keep a bone from breaking.

OTHER THINGS MAKE ME FALL and RISK BONES

Culprits:
Muscle relaxant pills and strong pain pills
Dehydration fainting.  911 tech made me drink a bottle of water
Bad sandals with soles that's won't let me turn on smooth floors - almost fell
Bad shoes poorly made - my feet slide around in them or out of them
A little vertigo getting out of bed or off exam table at times (but I haven't fallen)
Mild vertigo but I haven't fallen if I suddenly look left and down.
Careless motorists (some but not all young) backing up without looking
Sudden changes in sidewalk or street or hallway floor level.
Sitting way too long and getting up stiff

Solutions:
A cane hooked on the nightstand for night walking
A chair near bed holds my flashlight
Some neat sox with extra padding if shoes seem too loose some days
Giving up wearing heels.
Remembering to pick up my feet since I need  a "throw" rug in kitchen door
Using the railing on stairs
Not using stairs when a heavy bag unbalances me
Shout if necessary, bang on fender when careless motorist backs toward  you
Walk as PTh told me - weight on f'wd heel, feet not too close together


A very smart lady lawyer  once said in an article on falling:


The worst cause of falls may be the FEAR of falling!

I'm sure that's true, because physical therapy had to cure my fear of going down stairs.

I wish you health.

No comments: