Wednesday, August 31, 2016

THE TEST FOUND WHAT?! And that, too, and that, and that?


Since I took RETHINKING AGING... out of the library, headlines on overtreatment have been catching my eye.

Twitter led me to this one.
WSJ
When a Medical Test Leads to Another, and Another

 Yes, it opens up the argument- should patients be told of unexpected things that pop up during X-rays and other tests - things that may be nothings?  Things that may not be dangerous?

The two researcher authors feel we're over the line and giving too much information.

A sidebar gives us some info and a few percentages of what is turning up unexpectedly lately.  Lumbar spine MRI's for instance.  I already knew that my lumbar spine MRI showed a bunch of arthritis that I'm still dealing with.  Or dealing with more often.  Interestingly - it was a 2nd-opinion pain expert who told me about the arthritis.  The spine surgeon never mentioned it.

Also, you might be surprised by the many extra findings during diagnostic tests for colon cancer.

A lot of mention is given to unexpected kidney findings, and how urgent they could become if left for later.

This patient was reading fast, looking for the part where they would mention "immune system.."  Since Prolia arrived in my life, my immune system is on my mind.  Didn't find a mention of it.

Nothing has been solved here, but I am always glad when anyone pokes a stick into over-treatment and keeps it in the spotlight.

I wish you health.

No comments: