Tuesday, December 1, 2015

DCIS - LCIS What to treat/what not to treat? Dana-Farber posts about it

I learn some things about breast carcinoma in situ. Or do I? I certainly had plenty of questions.    How often experts don't agree.


http://blog.dana-farber.org/insight/2015/11/what-is-lobular-breast-cancer/ metastasis

All breast cancers initially form inside the milk duct near the area where the duct meets the milk gland, or lobule –
– a structure called the terminal duct lobular unit."  As long as the abnormal cells remain inside the milk duct they are known as carcinoma in situ."  "When they break out of the milk duct and get into the fatty tissue of the breast, they become invasive breast cancers"

OK. This is fairly new material for me.  I did not know about the first sentence - the "initially form" part.  It goes on with several paragraphs on invasive breast cancer.  Then they continue:


"WHAT IS LCIS?
"Lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS) is a term used to describe a change in which cells resembling those of invasive breast cancer are contained within the lobule. Although LCIS itself isn’t a form of cancer and is not treated as cancer,"

Wow. Is this what some doctors are thinking of when they call all breast CIS baby cancer?

Okay. If they don't treat LCIS now...

NOW WHAT ABOUT DCIS.  Since I "had" DCIS, I'm certainly interested in this, the newest Dana-Farber article I have found on DCIS.

Treatment - I had questions LCIS VS DCIS.  Does Dana-Farber treat DCIS?  

SO  ANOTHER Article http://blog.dana-farber.org/insight/2013/08/what-should-you-do-if-you're-diagnosed-with-DCIS/  "The reason DCIS is important is..." This article is complex and hard to condense:

They quote a NCI report that suggests redefining cancer. That not calling it cancer "may ease the fears of patients, making them less inclined to seek unnecessary and potentially harmful treatments. "

Yet they say that DCIS cells, though in the duct, ARE cancer cells (unlike the LCIS cells).   Then a doctor says, " The reason DCIS is important is that, if left untreated, it has the potential to become invasive breast cancer."  And he moves to the "potentially harmful treatments."   Hmmmm.

Just when I was going to stop reading, here's a punch line we've seen elsewhere recently:
"although there is a great deal of debate over who should and shouldn’t receive radiotherapy after a diagnosis of DCIS. "   Well, well.. 

Feeling a little foolish, I went back to Google.  A couple Dana-Farber posts were marked -2015, BUT one of them actually used the future tense referring to later in 2013.  

So they did treat DCIS, in 2013.  And so did my hospital, complete with radiation.

 Dana-Farber has email if you want to pursue this.

I think my job now is to check out a few other hospitals' ideas on DCIS.

If you have newer info on this, please share it with us.
I wish you health.


No comments: