Saturday, December 5, 2015

WHAT IF THAT FALSE-POSITIVE MAMMO WASN'T FALSE?

"Increased Cancer Risk Seen After False-Positive Mammograms 

Are 'false-positive' scans still picking up something important?"


This is copied from MEDPAGETODAY's ACTION POINTS:

  • "Observational study found that a history of a false-positive mammogram was associated with a subsequent risk of breast cancer. December 2,15
  • Be aware that the biologic rationale for this observed relationship has yet to be explored."


Another voice from Chapel Hill, Louise M Henderson, PhD, on breast cancer. This time a study of 13 million women (that number certainly gets my attention. ) 

The other number that certainly got my attention was: "The 10-year breast cancer risk was higher by 39% in women who had false-positive mammograms and additional breast imaging as compared with women who had true-negative mammograms," 


39%!
I take it that the "additional breast imaging" means we went back when called back after the "positive" first read.  

 What is your experience with false positives?  I have been called back at least once in CA.  After a very long wait, the MD told me the re-exam was negative.
In 2013, in TX, a positive led to biopsy, and to Dx of DCIS.
In 2014, I had a diagnostic mammo w ultrasound.  It was a tough day, and the ultrasound MD had not read my "cancer survey" where I told them I had suspected scar tissue from a long-ago surgical biopsy.

Now comes this article.  Just what I did not need, since I'm due for another "diagnostic" mammo before Christmas, but in a place my Onco trusts - a place I haven't been before.
So: now MEDPAGETODAY says False positives are often indicating a grim future.

And nobody knows why. 

But we DO want to know; (see the sub-title question above on the MEDPAGE TODAY article)

I wish you health.




 http://www.medpagetoday.com/HematologyOncology/BreastCancer/54978

No comments: