Thursday, September 5, 2013

WHEN IT HURTS TOO MUCH

The war against pain medicine, which has been  and might still be called the fear of adequate pain medicine, is apparently not over.  The latest AARP Bulletin published a letter suggesting chronic pain may be one cause of rising Boomer suicide rates.

This war has waged since the Reagan years.  I read daily and blog regularly about the patient experience, yet the medical sites I regularly read almost never discuss inadequate pain relief.  Surely doctors, as well as their patients, come to the point of needing more serious help with their pain. So why the silence?

I've been fortunate so far that my high pain threshold has, except for a couple hours one night, kept me from needing more help than I could get. But the key words may be "so far."

How do you feel about this issue?  Let me know.




No comments: