Thursday, October 3, 2019

KNEE BUCKLE UPDATE The Hard Stuff:


The doctor sent me to get a knee X-ray the other day.   Perhaps because I was still carrying the cane and seemed a little slow and discouraged.  They let me know the next day:  the meniscus was not torn.  Great news.  So I don't have to have anything radical done.

The other news:  I still need to be cautious instead of careless. There is good news, though.

 Yesterday was a madhouse, and I didn't exercise much.  There are a lot of simple exercises to protect that knee, and some of them I can do easily.  Some even in bed as they taught me years ago in rehab.
I picked some easy ones from Harvard Health "Age Proof your knees"article on line
Standing on hard floors is discouraged, so found some soft shoes for kitchen duties, etc.

Amazing news is:  the effect of weight on the knee.  Two articles I value on the web say:  If you need to lose weight, lose it.
I have been working on that, but not enough.  I still worried last week when I had to carry my three-liter water to the apartment.   Harvard Health articles told me

 how much pressure each pound I carry puts on a knee cap.

SO NO 3-liter water for coffee for a while. Star-Bucks when I want good coffee .

BIGGEST DECISION: also gave up cheese! to see if that keeps the weight loss going.


I wish you health.


1 comment:

Katie said...

That cheese probably contributes to sinus stuffies, soo, but lordie, I love it. I love ice cream, too, but same effect. Once in a while I bite the bullet and binge for one meal's dessert.