Saturday, October 6, 2018

ENERGY - EATING TO LOSE THAT TIREDNESS

My PTh doesn't say much when I mention how tired I get.  I'm wide awake when we're working on my strength, balance, and endurance.

But other days, I may be  just plain tired, or have leg fatigue or allover fatigue.  Even in a few-minute nap, I fall asleep. (Good for my dry eye, at least.)

But  what if there's more to the tiredness?  So of course I went shopping on line for answers--this time to Harvard.edu. Healthbeat in my email. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/tired-4-simple-ways-to-

Harvard had a lot to say about something called ATP, which I had to look up:

"ATP is a high-energy molecule found in every cell. Its job is to store and supply the cell with needed energy. " from study.com

Then back to Harvard.  "Tired-4-simple-ways-to...help your body produce more ATP and replenish dwindling energy levels. The most common strategies revolve around three basic concepts: diet, exercise, and sleep. "         

Let's talk about food.  And some of their suggestions you already know I do:
"Diet. Boost your ATP with fatty acids and protein from lean meats like chicken and turkey, fatty fish like salmon and tuna, and nuts. "  But too many nuts and too much meat..they say my body has to work harder and uses up my ATP.

Then they mention what I do!

 "When lack of energy is an issue, it’s better to eat small meals and snacks every few hours than three large meals a day," according to Dr. Komaroff..."Your brain has very few energy reserves of its own and needs a steady supply of nutrients,” he says.

 “Also, large meals cause insulin levels to spike, which then drops your blood sugar rapidly, causing the sensation of fatigue.”  my bold

Then: something many of us need work on:  enough water.  A slim, energetic , older friend of mine told me recently she is required to drink 7 of those grocery store 6 pack bottles of water.  I know I"m still not drinking that much.  But Harvard stresses the amount:
"If your body is short on fluids, one of the first signs is a feeling of fatigue. ...Although individual needs vary, the Institute of Medicine recommends men should aim for about 15 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids per day, and women about 12 cups (2.7 liters). " They offer some foods with high water content, but you can figure it out.  It is watermelon season, after all.!

 There are so many ways I need to pay attention to this water amount.  Do you?

I wish you health.

No comments: