Monday, July 31, 2017

ALLERGIES, STEROIDS and AFTER-SHOCK



I’ve always had allergies.  When I was a little kid they called them colds. As an adult, only time I didn’t have them was during my wonderful 19 months living at a California beach.  I moved; they came back. The doctor was baffled. They seemed too bad to be allergies.

Then I moved to TX.  And for the first time, the whole nasal thing got infected.  Antibiotics. They cut the infection, not the endless sneeze/cough, runny nose.    

The second year, it was worse. So much coughing and sneezing I couldn’t drive.  The doctor said he'd send two scrips - each day I'd take fewer pills, and in a week I'd be done.  I got two tiny boxes.

When I unwrapped the fashionable “pacs” the first was a Prednisone compound.  No. Uh-uh.  Back in the box. But I was miserable, so I took them.  The antibiotic was amazing.   The steroids were not. The coughing kept on until the tissue showed a few traces of blood with the cough.  After several phone calls, I got the promised cough syrup.  Not enough help. The doctor’s office called and asked if the meds worked. I told them I was at the same place I would have been without the meds.


Mom used to say after disappointing medicine 
 "Either this stuff is no good, or I would have died without it." Hmm.

About a week after the steroids were all gone, the Surprises began.

Suddenly I got red areas sort of like athletes foot ON my palms.  (I have blepharitis- Try taking care of your eye infection with that on your palms!  Put on clotrimazole.)

Same week, I had too many errand in the hot, hot car and no place to park in the shade.  When I got home, the sweaty area at the edges of my hair, and on my neck itched wildly. I got patches of streaky itchy hives and even a couple of bumps. The next day, I still had big itchy red areas when I woke up.

I remembered a dermatologist’s words when I was very young:

..."I think you’re allergic to your own sweat."

 I combed the web.  New words:  

  http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1049978-overview?the > Dermatology

Cholinergic Urticaria

Updated: Apr 04, 2017 Author: Robert A Schwartz, MD, MPH; 
“Cholinergic urticaria is one of the physical urticarias brought on by a physical stimulus. Although this stimulus might be considered to be heat, the actual precipitating cause is sweating.” 
I changed my routine, stayed in during most of the day   .But I had to make a decision:

I’m due for the next Prolia injection.  Prolia admits even on the web site, that it CAN affect the immune system.  Feeling nervous, I cancelled the Priola for now.  

Steroids should slow the immune system when it over-reacts to something simple.       But HOW long until the immune system is BACK TO NORMAL?,   

Go back to the doctor?  I don't want to be in any med waiting rooms with sick folk. I wear a med mask to the grocery store.  Scared?  I didn't go to Starbucks for a month!  And when I did get there, suddenly a big group came in.  I was too freaked out to stay  

Home –lifestyle?  I can't get the indoor humidity below the upper 50s, which is not good for respiratory problems.  And I itch.





  


No comments: