Wednesday, August 7, 2019

DON'T DRIVE WITH IT, and DON'T FALL!



I rarely fall, but sometimes I'm clumsy, or think my balance is worse than it is, or...

 This UPI Health News made me stop and think, and : remember
https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2019/07/27/Some-medications-driving-ar
https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2019/07/27/Some-medications-driving-are-dangerous-duo/3191564243177/


"Some medications, driving are dangerous duo" by HealthDay News

I had to search in upi to find this article again under "driving." but I suggest you look it up if you're interested in the driving side of side effects.

" some prescription and over-the-counter medicines can cause side effects that make it unsafe to drive," the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warns."

As I see it, The partial list of what these meds can do, has DON'T WALK Even at home written all over it. 


" side effects can include

sleepiness
drowsiness,
blurred vision,
dizziness, 
slowed movement,
fainting 
inability to focus or pay attention
nausea and excitability."     

They note that some meds wear off quickly, and others not til the next day.  That's helpful for driving, but maybe we fall most often at home. How do I know which is which?  I have to ask or look it up.

I had bad drowsiness years ago with codeine pills for  cleansing grains in my eye.  Had to set down the phone and lie down in the hall.  My LA doctor said once you've had such a problem, you could have  same years later!  So...I have a note at the top of my meds list "no codeine."  

fell a few years ago here in Texas, as I may have mentioned, after taking 1/3 of an Rx muscle relaxer .  So they are another warning at top of my meds list.

And, I write:" average dose of some medicines are TOO strong for me.  People of different ages have different needs sometimes.

Please tell me you have any warning you need at the top of your meds list.  And please tell me you HAVE a meds list for your doctors.  That way the Dr. may discuss falling with you.  Don't let an assistant dump all this under allergy.

Oh, and my friends confessed cutting allergy pills in half, and I confess I do, too, since they affect my dry eye as well.

So many drugs, so many dangers including falling!

The main thing I do for possible side effects including falling:

I look up the pill he suggests on line, from some real doctors medical group or major hospital I trust, and write down any side effects that might make me get careless, stumble, or fall.  
I don't have a good source for how long it takes after I take it for a pill to be safe against falls.

 There is a pharmacist I trust here, but he is often on anther shift.

 So I read that huge warning list that they stuff in the bag with the pill bottle!


I wish you health.












I also 
Most people I know seem to know that allergy pills can make us drowsy--I idn't really think much about it until lately.  But my doctor mentioned a couple I took years ago.  When I tried on here in my o livinwng room, I turned to my left to pick something off my desk, and had to grab a chair - instant dizziness!   

several friends and one relative now cut a popular allergy pill in half.  Confess I secretly do that, too.

You and I know by now what can happen 


How do I know which one is really dangerous for Me/  And HOw dangerous.

Maybe you stay at home if you only know which ones make you sleepy. 
Sleepy enough to forget about that pretty littel bathroom rug?  Should it be replaced with a big, safe real bath mat?  The good ones arent so eacy to slide around on, and I know mine is right there by tub and toilet.  I need one, though, that's hard to wrinkle up when I wake at night.

And I do use my cane at night when I've been asleep and no bright lights are on.  

Have to restrict myself to the bottom step of my "step stool" because the top step is just in the wrong place and has nothing to hang onto. Some people tell me to brace myself against the cupboard on that one, but.....NO.
     

Several meds are on my med list I give the doctor.  At the top are my warnings to doctor that at some time I have had trouble with them,
 the nurse or assitant asks twice or 3 times if I am allergic to them.  I should SPELL it out: 
" this stuff made me dizzy,:  : I fell after taking this med once," fell asleep once after taking it, 
faintness, dizziness, drowsiness. I fainted for a minute on this med.".


 Not to mention what else we do during the day, (or night.P

No comments: